The increasing integration of business operations across functional areas, between separate internal divisions and beyond corporate boundaries is an unprecedented management challenge that cannot be resolved with the current population of management and operations support systems.
For MSPs to stay bottom line sensitive, it is extremely important for them to maximize the return on the capital investments and ensure efficiency of their business operations while delivering the highest quality and diversity of services that are demanded by their market. To maintain a competitive position, service providers need a means to evaluate their operational performance in order to keep up with market dynamics. It is a daunting challenge to paint an accurate composite picture of their business performance via existing measurement tools due to the scale of monitoring, analyzing and reporting on service performance across the entire complex and intricate MSP value chain. Current methods for dealing with the scope of operations data are subject to wide interpretation. The ultimate Business Assurance solution for Mobile Service Providers must solve the following challenges:
1. Real-time Quality of Service (QoS) Measurement – QoS is an overall view of service performance that represents the level of customer’s satisfaction. QoS is directly related to the performance of a provider’s service platform, and includes both service-specific and technology-specific performance. The operational aspect of QoS is the performance of a provider’s organization, e.g., customer support center, and can affect the QoS experienced by the subscribers. QoS measurements are the combined aspects of service support performance, service operability performance, serve-ability performance, service security performance, and other factors specific to each service.
2. Capability to Provide Insightful Impact Analysis – Failures of critical business/service applications can have a significant cost impact.. It is paramount that the business assurance infrastructure allows the provider to react quickly to problems and accurately assess the impacts to their customers in order to take action and set priorities accordingly. In many instances, provisioning errors have become a major factor in customer churn and revenue leakage.
3. Resource Utilization Measurement – It can be a significant cost and efficiency advantage to effectively redistribute applications and network resources by using timely network and application performance data. When certain portions of the existing network are unreliable or heterogeneous, accurate performance and utilization data can drive better design and configuration, resulting in a more appropriate allocation of the provider’s service resources.
4. Workflow Maintenance and Integration – A proprietary distributed computing infrastructure faces inevitable flexibility and scalability limitations. Such platforms are expensive to maintain and highly labor intensive to support when required to interact with external systems. A new method should be considered that provides standardized performance-gathering practices across multiple internal domains. Thus, the provider can establish common SLA/QoS goals across multiple domains for other 3rd party providers, both internally and externally.
5. Advancing Technology – Technology continues to evolve at rapid pace, requiring MSPs to maintain constant vigilance with a close eye on the competition. The operations evolution should be built upon a dynamic infrastructure allowing flexible operational changes and improving internal measurements and reporting in order to enrich customer relations and differentiate the service provider from its competitors.
The AcuMaestro, Inc. Business Assurance Solution Environment (BASE) Mobile Service (MS) monitors technology independent end-to-end business operations metrics by mediating business intelligence from all relevant sources, including business processes and deployed services. The BASE system has a powerful rules engine that offers an open formula definition interface that includes complex rules definition and calculation for the correlation and aggregation of business intelligence. The BASE calculation engine acquires information from other management systems and/or operational environments, allowing the BASE system to perform valuable information collaboration both vertically and horizontally. In addition to the standard formula and calculation logic, BASE offers a flexible interface to tune your operations support to meet your particular proprietary needs without the need for new software.
Your specific real-time measurable components are refined into Business Behavior Indicators (BBI) to provide an accurate picture of the current state of the business in sufficient detail to drill down from the highest corporate levels to individual customer services. The collection of BBI’s is then compared, in real time, against service and operations objectives in order to verify internal (service and operational quality), external (with 3rd party vendors), or customer service level commitments and compliance with Business Performance Objectives.